Saturday, January 16, 2010

Love/hate relationship

Today I did something I have never done before. I spent the day at a FTDP (finish that darn project) day at a local quilt shop. I could never figure out why you would want to lug your machine, all your sewing supplies and fabric somewhere else to sew when you could just sit and go at home. My new quilting buddy, Shellie, and I wanted to get together, though, and I thought this would be a great way to get to visit her AND get something done and it sure was! I got a LOT more done there than I would have at home with all the interruptions. We munched a lot, yakked a lot, laughed a lot, bled a lot (don't ask..just PLEASE keep me away from sharp objects!!) and got a lot of work done. Shellie got a whole top done from her Christmas swap blocks..including piecing the backing!
Now, what I got done is part of my love/hate relationship. I LOVE LOVE LOVE log cabin blocks. They are so timeless to me and sooo many patterns from them. I decided that I needed to make a log cabin quilt for my inlaws 50th anniversary...NEXT Saturday! I decided to work on making the 30 blocks I was going to need for that at the sew in. Came in, humming away..chattering away..telling everyone I love log cabins...4 hours later I was telling that same group of ladies I HATE log cabins. Okay..I still love them, but boy, was I sick of them!! All in all, I got 19 blocks almost done while there. Came home, had dinner, had some wine with the hub and watched a few episodes of Northern Exposure (we love that show and are working our way through the whole series again). Put the last strip on all those blocks and decided to prep for finishing up the other 11 blocks tomorrow. Hmmm....what is this? Math genius that I am....I need to make 36 blocks...NOT 30 blocks total. Sigh...thank goodness I discovered this tonight, but now I am feeling let down. Thought I was 2/3 of the way done and now I am not. Oh well..I hope I don't hate these blocks for good when I am working on the next 17 of them tomorrow. The good news is that I am making them all scrappy, so it is all from stash..and we love that!!

7 comments:

  1. hang in there, you can get it done. cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share the same love/hate relationship for log cabins. Just keep in mind how good they'll look when done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share the same love/hate relationship for anything when it has a deadline to it.

    It's going to look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a blast! You will whip them out in no time flat. You are a wiz on that there machine.
    I came across some poor math also. My backing is too short and too wide..lol. I need to add 10" to the length... no problem. But like you said, Im glad I found this out now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great day! I think we have all been having math challenges lately - I ran into one on Blue Blocks last night - but luckily it was a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the same way about log cabins! But they are classic and look great when finished! Your blocks look awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, the blocks look fabulous and you are depleting the stash... or at least the strips -- which I hope you had precut! I feel the same way as you -- why drag all the stuff to work somewhere else. You at least get a lot done. I get a lot of talking done. I'm not focused enough.

    ReplyDelete