Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My sewing area

My very first post to my blog was about organzing my stash and scraps. For 20+ years, this fabric has moved all around the country with me in big garbage bags. When kiddos #4-6 came along, I had to stop all my sewing/crafting as I didn't have any time. It has only been the past few years that I have been able to pick it all back up. Anytime I wanted to do a project, though, I would have to go buy more fabric because it was too daunting to go through those bags of wrinkly, odd shaped fabric.
Then I discovered Bonnie Hunter and her scrapsaver system over at Quiltville. I just loved this idea and took off with it. I washed all those fabrics and scraps and then organized and cut them up into the desired sizes.
I started off with this:



Now I have this!



What a difference, huh??

Here are my fat quarters separated by lights and darks, then the bigger yardages also done by lights and darks.

On this side are the bins of precut pieces and strips.


Here is a peek inside one of the bins. Most size strips are separated by lights and darks, but on the sizes I don't have as many, they share the same bin, I just keep them neatly piled up.


Here is a pic of my sewing area:


On the wall next to me when I sew, I keep these two blocks:


They are the same exact pattern, just with different number of fabrics used and different placement. I love that!!
Last but not least, no sewing room of mine would be complete without a cat or two to keep an eye on my progress. Here is Buddy making sure the flimsies stay safe!


I just love being able to sit and sew whenever ready. I was shocked to see how much usable material and scraps I had in those bags that I would never have used if I didn't invest the time into getting them organized. Big undertaking, but so worth it!!!

11 comments:

  1. Good for you! I didn't have quite as daunting of a task as you, but I did embark on some organizing and "working" of my stash into more useable forms a while back, and boy does it make a difference in ease of use and how productive I can be. And I found so much fabric that I had forgotten I had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working on mine for a couple of years, finally getting a handle on it. It is so nice to pull fabric from the stash to make just about anything I want. Your room looks great. cw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you come to my house? Though kitty will have to stay home (allergies :-(). Seriously though, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! It looks so good. What a wonderful start in 2010!
    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed. Well done you

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible!!! My fabric is in drawers - which keeps the dust bunnies and kitty fur away, but does not lend itself to sorting yoru way. Rethinking things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great!!! And I am sure that everything is more accessable now. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!~ Great job!!! Now to more shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT JOB !!!!!
    LOVE IT!!!!
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cat! But really like the retro radio!!

    ReplyDelete