Sunday, November 28, 2010

An overdue finish and a new week's list

Well, with all the happy chaos of Thanksgiving (and the worse chaos of Black Friday in which I worked from 3:45 am to 12:30 pm), I did absolutely no sewing until last night. I think it took all that time for me to recuperate! lol I wasn't sure what I wanted to work on last night, but when I moved some things around, I refound my blocks from a swap we did on Homesteading today..I think it was at the beginning of the year. I had put them aside as I was going to make more blocks to make it a big snuggly quilt, but when I was playing with them last night, I decided to make it as is. It ends up being 52" x 52". This was a Tattered Pioneer block swap. So, the pieces are sewn on top of each other with the raw edges hanging out so that they fray and look "tattered". I love the colors, the wonkiness, everything about it. Looks very folk artsy to me! I do still have to handstitch the back of the binding on, but will do that tonight so am counting it as a long overdue finish! Yay!!



I have 2 other quilts ready to be quilted, but wasn't really in the mood to quilt up another one. So, looking around, I found my string bins were overflowing. I have never made a string block, so played around and made these 3:



These were sooooo much fun! I can see these being an addiction. What a great feeling to use up something that I never would be able to any other way..mine are all under 1 1/2 inches wide. So, I can see LOTS of these in my future.

Then I noticed my 1 1/2 inch square bin was awfully full so made some of my first loves:



I will keep making these as my leaders and enders while I sew up some other things. I love these little guys and have all kinds of ideas dancing around in my head for them!

I got the best bargains ever on black friday..I bought NOTHING! lol I do most of my Christmas shopping all year long when things go on clearance (I LOVE working at Target!) and though Joann's is right next door, I knew I didn't need anything and a bargain is only a bargain if you NEED the item. Anywho, here is my list of what I want to accomplish on the sewing front this week:

1) quilt Christmas ornament table runner
2) quilt Patrick's Twisted 9 patch OR Jitterbug
3) cut up 1 bag of scraps in to usable pieces
4) make doggie bed
5) get at least 3 more steps done on mystery

I could go on, but I am trying to be realistic..nothing more UNmotivating than a list that is ridiculous!! How did you all do??

6 comments:

  1. What a great long weekend, even if you got started late! My weekend has been dedicated to quilting to start catching up and I did pretty well - third project is on the frame now since Wednesday afternoon! Good luck on your list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your quilt and your blocks!!! Your black friday sounds like mine - I managed to get a quilt quilted and half bound this weekend -just lacking the hand stitching -and my "sewing list" for gifting. from a shopping standpoint I was pretty done a few months ago - just some little things to add, some wrapping, and lots of baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you achieved quite a bit. I agree, a long "to-do" list can be very unmotivating. I always tend to overestimate what I can achieve, and then get really fed-up when I don't get it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't bought anything except groceries since November 1st. I've been buying gifts during the year, a little each month and finishing up items I'm making.

    I love the quilt, that looks like something I could manage. :) The string blocks are cute and I'm going to have lots of strings once I'm finished with the quilt I'm working on. Of course I love the nine patch squares. That's my favorite block to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go girl! If you keep this up you will not have any UFOs. I started a circle tattered look block a while back. Just another one of my whenevers.

    ReplyDelete