Saturday, August 11, 2012

Broken Hearted and Christmas Quiltalong

Well, I am going to start with the "broken hearted" part of my title because that explains my absence from here for 2 months. Back in June, I started having chest pains. Just here and there, sometimes barely there, sometimes very painful, lasting 2-3 minutes usually. My mom died from heart disease at 51 (I am 48), so believe me, I was right off to the ER and my regular doctor. Stress test and EKG's all came back fine so heart was ruled out. On to a spasming esophagus maybe? Endoscopy came back fine. Meanwhile, the episodes of pain are happening multiple times daily now and are SEVERELY painful. Pain is now also in my arms, back, neck, etc. Classic signs of heart issues, but newer ekg's still are normal. Finally, a little over a week ago, Aug 2, I got an answer to my problem...it WAS my heart and it showed itself by me having a heart attack. An angiogram showed that my right coronary artery was 95% blocked. So, they did an angioplasty and put a stent in and I am now as good as new!! I really cannot tell you how good it feels to not be in pain. I couldn't take care of my disabled son, had to leave work often because of these attacks, couldn't garden, couldn't sew...Now, I still am not allowed to do those things (except the sewing) until I see my cardiologist next week, but at least I know there is an end in sight!! So, I don't have much to show you for the past 2 months since I didn't do much sewing, but I do have a few things to share. Here is my Christmas quiltalong mystery quilt:
The top is all done and I just need to quilt it up. Not sure I have the energy to do that quite yet, though. I love how it turned out!!! Thanks sooooo much, Sue, for this great pattern!!!! I did manage to finish up a graduation quilt for Hannah's best friend, Sophia. Here that is:
This one was called Summer Breeze and she just loved it! Yay!! I have one other project that I might finish off today but I think I am going to start on a Christmas project in honor of the quiltalong. So glad I am alive to join my fabulous quiltalong buddies today. Please, go hug your friends and families today, take a minute to be glad you're alive and for whatever blessings are in your life, and just slow down and smell the fabric!!

17 comments:

  1. Oh what an awful time you've been through. I'm so sorry, but at least it does now sound as though you are able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    Both your quilts look great, I'm glad you like the Festive Mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reenie, so glad you are on the mend. I have a family member who has a stent that was put in a good ten years ago and she is doing great, so I wish the same for you. The graduation quilt you made is lovely and I love your Festive Mystery quilt. Don't get stressed - your health is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many gentle hugs your way. Take you time in healing and so pleased you are with us today - in many ways. Your Mystery quit is wonderful - still lots of time to finish it up. Lovely graduation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear that you're on the mend! Take care of yourself. Your Festive Mystery is gorgeous. And that graduation quilt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Sew and Enjoy Reenie!!! Love your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have had a scary time. I would be lost without my sewing. Good that you can participate today. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Glad you are doing better. I had missed you but hoped life had been busy this summer.

    Take time to recover.

    Quilts are, as usual, simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, you'd think they could have figured that one out a lot sooner instead of making you go through all that pain! But glad they finally figured out what it was.

    The mystery quilt looks great! You'll have that quilted up in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you are doing well Reenie and can join us today. Please take care of yourself and know that we are thinking of you and sending all our best your way. Your quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blimey - what a scare!! Mind you, I'd be asking the medics why they hadn't spotted a 95% blocked artery even after all those tests! Take your time recovering - I'd be heading to the pool for stress free exercise as soon as I was allowed to get back up to fighting fit mode.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! I am glad to hear you made it though that!!! Your quilts looks great!!! Now take it easy and rest rest rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! what an awful time you have had. So, Glad your doing better.
    Your quilts look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering about you the other day as I looked through my blog roll. So glad to hear that you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow Reenie -I thought you had been pretty quiet but I know how busy you can get. Give a shout if there is anything you need!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you're good as new too! Take it easy don't rush it....you will be released soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you are back. I check your blog every few days and I really missed you! Debbie in WV

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've had medical problems this summer, but, nothing like you. Hoping you have a great check up with the doc and get the all clear.

    ReplyDelete