Sunday, October 4, 2009

Where did the weekend go?

Let's see...I got the 2 mystery quilts almost completed. I did find I sewed one section wrong on one of the quilts. No more sewing while drugged for me! I did get that part ripped out, but not put back yet. The first quilt I got all laid out and decided I needed 10 more blocks. So, hopefully I will finish those this week.
I haven't been able to do any quilting with the bad finger, so the Loopy Over You quilt top is still waiting to be finished.
I also had ALL 6 of my kids and my son in law here for dinner tonight. Woohooo! That doesn't happen enough for me!
I also did my cooking for the month today. Yes, you heard me...I shop and cook once a month. I HATE cooking. Unfortunately, my family refuses to graze, so I have to cook. One of the best frugal things I do is grocery shop once a month. The fewer times you walk in the store, the fewer impulse items you buy. I make a month worth of menus then stick strictly to the list. I do have to run in on weekends to buy more fresh fruit and milk, but that is it. Cooking the one time saves me time, also. Now, I just pull something out of the freezer when I get up and heat it when I get home. I LOVE this! Here's what I made and froze today:
2 lasagnes
2 meat sauce for spaghetti
2 shepherds pies
2 creamy noodles and beef
2 chicken pot pies
3 red chilis
3 white chilis
2 turkey meatball soups
split pea soup

Yes, I know that is not 30 dinners, but we also have home made pizza night every Thursday night, Wednesday is club sandwich night. Using this system, I spend about $450 a month for ALL our food, cleaning supplies, etc for the 5 of us at home and the usual drop ins.
Well, back to work tomorrow and hopefully more sewing tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Its a great idea! Less cooking time to interfere with quilting time :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, when I was raising my 2 children and going to school AND working, I cooked once a week as you do once a month. I cooked pinto beans and froze them and I also made meatloaf and forze it (uncooked). It's just me now but I still cook and freeze. One of my favorites is a chicken and dressing casserole. Make ad ouble batch and freeze half for later. have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you....sounds like a great way to cook...I might have to try it.
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeow, Maureen, it makes me tired to think of all that cooking in one day. It would take me a month to clean up the pans! Although i will admit to freezing extras I do make for dinner esp. since it's just the hubs and I. Hum, I have a cook book about mixes including dinners that you make and freeze the basic parts of it. I may have to check it out. Your mystery quilt looks great. I may have to go back and try this one too! But, I am trying to plow through some ufo's for now. Bonnie in the Poconos.

    ReplyDelete