Saturday, March 3, 2012

Windy!

We are having some major wind here in western NY....45 MPH with gusts of 60+ MPH. Compared to the rest of the country, though, I am not complaining!! I am sick....AGAIN. Just a cold, but I am miserable. I have never been as sick as I have been this winter. I do have TONS to get done, so I am popping cold medicine and hunkering down. I figured if I at least start something, it will at least be SOME progress! I am taking the bull by the horns and quilting Geese Crossing. I have put this off for a full year because it's size and weight intimidated me! Here it is squished under my machine:
Did anyone notice where I started quilting this? That is one of my dirty little secrets. I NEVER start quilting in the center of the quilt and work out. That just doesn't feel right to me and doesn't work for me. I always start on the bottom center.I go straight up the center, usually quilting about a third of the quilt and then start at the bottom again and do one side and then the last side. I have never had an issue with doing it this way. What about you? What do you do that you know is "wrong" but works for you? Now off to try to do some more quilting before I need to nap.

5 comments:

  1. I long arm, I have to say I just love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hand quilt, and, not only do I NOT 'rock the needle' (I 'stab stitch style), but, I start at one end of the quilt on the frame and work to the other end, not from the middle. I'm sure that there are lots of other 'wrongs' that I do, too, like buy fabric from thrift stores (if it really feels like cotton). Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I like to start at the top going right to left then left to right and so on moving down. Center out usually causes problems in bunching for me. I always do the wrong cuz it is usually right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only machine quilted two quilts. The first one I followed all the rules and had a heck of a time. The second one I started at the bottom right and went up, then started at the top right and went across that way. It worked out perfect for me. I quilted mine in 3 inch squares and ended up with the "old timey" quilt I was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete